I started with Q4os a while ago and it’s pretty good as things go but some things are a bit of an uphill struggle. Not really because it’s hard but because it’s not what I’m used to.
I wanted to get the Chrome browser to start up on power up, I know it’s sad, and I’ll want to change it later but it’s a place to start.
There’s a useful entry in the Q4OS forum at http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1043
As usual, and regardless of operating system it took some messing about. I remember back to windows 2 and 3 when the paradigm changed constantly, just like today with Windows 7, 8 and 10 really and nothing’s straight forward there either. I’ll abbreviate the process.
- Locate /home/username/.q4data/programs/startup in a browser window
- Click on the start icon and search for ‘chrome’
- Right click on the icon that turns up in the list and select “Add item to desktop”
- Drag the icon from the desktop to the startup folder
- Reset the system and see what happens.
This is a common mechanism and one that is used on things like online data sync and backup, so that programs you want running will start at system startup. Just like autoexec.bat in Windows and MS-DOS.
So that’s not really all that impressive, I know that, but sometimes small steps is a real must.